- 140g (5oz) unsalted butter
- 160g (5.5oz) unsalted
- macadamia halves
- 200g (7oz) pure icing sugar
- 65g (2.5oz) plain flour, sifted
- 5 egg whites
- Juice of 2 limes, strained
- 100g (3.5oz) caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC (390ºF). Grease 10 friand or 80mL (2.8 fl oz) muffin pans with butter.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and simmer gently until it deepens in colour. Remove from heat and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Grind the macadamias and icing sugar together in a blender and place in a mixing bowl. Stir through the flour. Stir in the egg whites (don't beat them) and mix to make a soft batter. Pour the melted butter through a fine sieve into the batter and mix thoroughly. Spoon the mixture into the tins to fill about three-quarters full. Bake for 5 minutes at 200ºC (390ºF), lower oven temperature to 180ºC (350ºF) and bake for a further 20-25 minutes, covering the cakes if they get too brown.
- Turn the oven off and leave the friands inside for 5 minutes. Cool slightly in the tin and then turn onto a rack. Brush each friand with warm syrup making sure you brush into the crevices. When cool, store in an airtight tin.
- Syrup - combine the lime juice and sugar in a pan and bring to the boil, stirring until dissolved. Oranges or lemons can be substituted for the limes.
Makes 10 friands.