- 250g (1 /2lb) butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 /4 cup caster (superfine) sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 11 /2 cups macadamia halves
- 6 tablespoons warmed apricot conserve
- 1 tablespoon extra caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350ºF). Grease a 30cm x 20cm x 4cm (12 x 8 x 11 /2 inch) deep pan and line the base with baking paper.
- Beat butter and sugar together in a bowl until thick and creamy, about 5 minutes. Beat in eggs 1 at a time.
- Stir in flour and half the macadamias to make quite a stiff mixture.
- Using a spatula spread half the mixture over the pan base, spoon over the warm conserve.
- Spread over remaining cake mixture to reach pan sides. Press in remaining macadamias and sprinkle with caster sugar.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cover with baking paper if macadamias brown too much.
- Remove, stand 5 minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool. Cut into squares.